In China, there are plenty of online shopping platforms where cool shopping happens, with Taobao standing out as one of the most popular. As Double Eleven, also known as 双十一 (Shuāng Shíyī), approaches, this guide will help you easily return items you’ve bought on Taobao in case of wrong or impulsive purchases.
淘宝 (Táobǎo), also known as Taobao, is an online marketplace where you can shop for a wide variety of items, including clothing, electronics, and more.
Planning a trip to China? Considering what you’ll need for your trip? There’s one thing to plan ahead: online payments! We’ve prepared an easy guide to help you to use Alipay with international cards.
Return Items on Taobao Like a Pro
Choose the Item to Return
1. Tap on 我的淘宝 (Wǒ de Táobǎo) – My Account.
2. Then on 我的订单 (Wǒ de dìngdān) – My Orders.
3. Choose the item you want to return and make sure that you received the item by clicking 确认收货 (quèrèn shōu huò).
4. Request return/after-sales service by clicking on 申请退款 / 售后 (shēnqǐng tuì kuǎn / shòuhòu).
Choose the Reason of Return
5. First, select the type of return from one of the following options:
jǐn tuì kuǎn
to refund only
A partial refund without returning the item.
tuì huò tuì kuǎn
to return item and refund
With this option, you return the item and receive a refund.
to exchange item
Return the purchased product and receive a different one in its place.
6. Fill in the blanks, and choose the reason why you’d like to return this item:
❕If it’s been less than 7 days since you received it, you can choose the option 7天内无理由退货 (qī tiān nèi wú lǐyóu tuìhuò), or return within 7 days without any reason.
tuì kuǎn yuányīn
a reason for return
7. Submit the request by tapping the orange button 提交 (tíjiāo). It might take a seller some time to approve it, usually they approve within a few hours.
Arrange Door Pickup
Once the seller approves your request, a new button will appear allowing you to send the item back:
shàngmén qǔ jiàn
8. Choose pickup time.
You can choose the time what’s convenient for you (the first option is pick-up within 2 hours), and the address.
9. Receive 4-digit pickup code.
The system will also give you a 4-digit pickup code which you are supposed to tell the delivery guy when he comes, not earlier. He enters it into his phone and gets access to the next step.
jì jiàn mǎ
10. Pay the delivery fee
Once your package has been picked up and you’ve paid the delivery fee, the logistics status will be changing as the package travels from your location back to the seller. Even before it arrives, you will usually get your refund.
❕The service costs RMB 8 for any package under 1kg. Then it’s calculated as extra RMB 8 per every kg. If you’re returning a wardrobe, that might be a problem, but if it’s just shoes of a wrong color or a wrong-size t-shirt – don’t worry! 🤓
🎉 Congrats! You have successfully completed the return process for your Taobao purchase!